Thursday, May 26, 2005

Sleepwalking

I have spent the past three nights sleeping in the stable. Thats right. On a pile of fresh straw, with one horseblanket underneath and two on top. Not kidding. That quarter mare has us all fooled!!! Monday night she was a wee bit worried. Tuesday night she was lying down panting in periods, in between this she simply stood up and ate away at her hay, last night she was mostly laying down breathing very heavy and groaning now and then. I cant blame her, having a 50-60 kilo foal turning inside her must be pretty painful. I am totally certain that the foal is turned and facing the right way. This is good news. I just wish she would make her mind up and drop it!!! When I went home at 5.30 am I was so knackered that I told Sylvia to call me only when/ if the water breaks. I really dont mind helping out at a foaling, in general the more hands on deck that are available the better, but I know that next year I am unlikely to have the favor returned. Sylvia has never seen a mare foal and I understand that she is nervous, it is just that she lacks common sense, or rather common horse sense. How a woman who has given birth herself twice can be so unimaginative regarding this the biggest miracle of them all beats me.
This is the tiring part of it.....the wait....once it all starts up you just go with the flow but it is annoying to just wait around. The only one loving it is the doglet. She thinks we are off camping. Unfortunately she is up to all kinds of shit all night long and annoys the hell out of me with her catchasing, rat digging, horse shit eating, digging in the straw and walking all over me.
I love her.