Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Summer...

Summer has arrived.....finally..or so we think!!! The temperatures have been up the last couple of days and for that we send a thankyou to the weathergods , or leprechauns or whoever it is that fills in the order every morning. Its not me, of that I am certain, if it was then every day would be sunny with a blue sky and a mild shower every dawn to freshen up!
I went to see horsy last night...she is not yet in the summer field but there are plenty of grass in the field where she is at and she is happy.....she walked up to me and put her head on my shoulder the way a horse do when they say " hello, I know you and where have you been , now gimme that carrot". I leaned on her neck and breathed that warm sweet smell of horse while she stood still and nuzzled my arm. Her short shiny black coat had patches of dried sand, giving away that she has had a good ol roll somewhere. - you are having a good time right now dont you? I said and she turned her head looking at me, ears pricked. I swear...horses know only too well what is going on at times.....hopefully she will come in season around June 1st, and then it is a 16 days wait before we know if the insemination have been successfull. It would be such a joy if things went well. The mare that foaled last week and lost her foal is doing well, much better than expected and for that I am grateful. It was very close to everything having gone straight to hell that night so I am happy to see her grazing , alive and well. The quarter mare is coming close to having her foal...she has filled up a tiny amount of milk but no real loosening of ligaments show so I think it might take another day or two. She is due the 26th and might very well be spot on. It is supposed to be around 22C on friday so if not before...then she will get started.
I'll take pics and keep you posted :)